Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Gun Control on School Campus

I have to strongly disagree! I'm against individuals carrying guns on campus. First, the nonsense will start by students carrying guns. For those students that are either anti-gun or not qualified to carry a gun will demand that they can carry some sort of alternative weapon for protection. What would that “alternative” weapon be for students? Some examples could be a butcher / hunting knife, a hammer, an ice pick, the list could go on for miles. I understand that nowadays individuals feel vulnerable and defenseless to unexpected tragedies. However, our schools are not battlefields. Therefore, each student has no reason to carry a weapon onto campus. I don’t want to question if the person next to me in class or walking down the hall is carrying a weapon. I feel that we should only let those properly trained carry a weapon (i.e. Campus Police, off-duty peace officer taking classes, etc.) versus the individual taught by their parent, sibling, relative, or friend over a weekend getaway. If everyone identifies school shootings as a reason to carry a weapon, should we allow all passengers via plane, train, or bus be allowed to bear arms as well?

1 comment:

Brian said...

Here's my response that I posted on my blog:

Thanks for posting! I appreciate feedback. But, I do feel that I should defend my position. Fist, let me provide an answer to your question:

Quote: "...should we allow all passengers via plane, train, or bus be allowed to bear arms as well?"

Like I stated in my post, I believe that these private organizations have every right to designate their services as weapon-free. That's not what I'm contending. What I will contend is that there is a fundamental difference between trains/planes and colleges because access to the ladder cannot be controlled. It simply would not be feasible to search everyone coming into the college campus.

Now, I am trying to discern what your postulate is that you read the statistics that I quoted differently than I do. I believe it is this:

Quote: "...our schools are not battlefields. Therefore, each student has no reason to carry a weapon onto campus."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that you believe that if you put weapons in the hands of the average person, the result will be chaos. This is exactly the myth that I wish to dispel.

When you allow guns, more shots will be fired, but those shots will actually end up harming fewer people. 1.8 million per year to be exact. This is really what the heart of decreasing shootings is all about. Its not as much about preventing the shots from being fired as it is preventing those shots from hurting people.